While many of us are becoming aware of the fact that health should be our priority, yet the bitter fact is very few of us know that which natural herbs and spices store the most health benefits for us. We want to avoid diseases, artificial food, and medicines yet I see little effort among us. The Planet Today is aiming at improving the Health and Fitness Section so that readers are engaged in reading the benefits of natural foods, herbs, and spices and add them to their daily routine. However, we pledge our readers to read the cautions at the end of “benefits of cloves” as well to avoid over-dosage and side-effects. Read the latest treatment on: Ringing In Ears / Tinnitus Treatment Cloves, to be honest, are the most underrated spices. You might not be having a 100g pack for the entire family a month! Oh yes, you can recheck your grocery bills for that! However, after this article, I hope we improve the consumption of cloves!However, if it is in powdered form, don’t be confused by it. In supermarkets, you can get cloves in both raw as well as powdered form. The cloves are the flower-buds of the clove tree. The scientific name of the cloves is the Syzygium aromaticum.
What are cloves?To start off with basics, that what cloves actually are. The answer is simple: it’s a spice! A typical clove looks like this:
Read Related: 5 Things to Keep You Motivated About Your Health
The Nutrient Composition of ClovesThe cloves, which can be used in various foods, beverages, cuisines and cakes is one of the natural source of Manganese. Here is what you 2 grams of cloves which is approximately a teaspoonful of cloves would give you:
- 6 Calories
- 1 gram Carbs
- 1 Gram Fiber
- 6 Calories
- 1 gram Carbs
- 1 Gram Fiber
The Amazing Health Benefits of ClovesThe sweet and sour cloves are full of amazing health benefits. From curing toothache to providing immunity against Cancer, Cloves and Clove oils have various hidden health benefits.
1. Cloves are Rich in AntioxidantsAntioxidants are responsible for fighting against free radicals. The Free radicals cause the cells of the body to get damaged due to the oxidants. There are a number of natural antioxidants such as Vitamin E and Manganese. These Antioxidants allow reducing the damages that are caused by the free radicals which can even cause death! Not only Cloves are rich in the natural Antioxidant the Manganese, but also contain the antioxidant named eugenol. According to various research supported studies, the Eugenol action against the free radicals are 5 times stronger against the potent antioxidant the Vitamin E. It is thereby recommended to add cloves in your daily diet, along with other amazing antioxidant-rich foods and fruits!
2. Benefits of Cloves in Oral HealthToothache is one of the worst pain one can go through. The severity of the toothache can lead to headaches and other issues such as not being able to enjoy food. Oral health is also very important to maintain. The bad breath, mouth ulcer, and sores can be treated using the cloves and cloves oil as cloves are rich in anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. To say goodbye to the toothache place a clove between the teeth for a few minutes. To treat sore gums and mouth ulcers, use the clove oil. Put some clove oil on cotton and then rub the cotton against the infected area.
3. Helps in controlling Blood Sugar levelsThe cloves help improve the production of insulin in the body. Diabetic patients suffer from low production of insulin. The studies reveal that 6using cloves in diet can improve the production of insulin in the body and thus regulating the blood sugar levels. The diabetic patients however should consult their doctors on using cloves or clove oil.
Read more about blood sugar: 5 Fruits that benefit Diabetic Patients
4. Cloves for maintaining healthy bonesHealthy bones can guarantee a healthy future. The weak bones would only shatter your future hopes. However, maintaining a healthy lifestyle would help one to enjoy healthy bones. The hydro-alcoholic extracts of cloves would help enjoy the body the vital eugenols, flavones, and flavonoids. These compounds are found useful for maintaining stronger and healthier bones. However, more research is underway to support the benefits of cloves for bones.
5. Cloves Helps in Protecting LiverThe liver is a vital organ of the body. The free-radicals tend to damage the liver and make it prone to fatal diseases. However, the studies reveal that clove might be beneficial in protecting the liver against liver diseases. The manganese in cloves helps in combating the free-radicals which might be dangerous for the liver. Chewing a clove for attaining most of the extracts is recommended. However, clove oil, cooked clove is equally beneficial.
How to prepare clove oil at Home?While clove oil and cloves also has various benefits such as easing toothache to digestion and increasing immunity, the clove oil can be prepared at home. the best part is that it is extremely easy to prepare and can be used in cooking.
Things you need
- A teaspoon of cloves (or 8-12 cloves)
- A cup of extra virgin olive oil