Sent an email by mistake? Sent an email and now thinking to make some changes? Don’t panic, you can recall your email. In this article, you will learn how to unsend an email in outlook. In our previous article, we mentioned the method, how to unsend an email in Gmail. Indeed both the articles will prove helpful to you.
The procedure to unsend an email in outlook is simple and easy. The procedures to unsend an email in outlook for web and desktop are different. In this article, theplanettoday.com will introduce both methods to unsend an email in outlook.
How to unsend an email in outlook for the web:
To unsend an email in outlook for the web, you will have to follow the following procedure. First of all, you will have to enable the feature in outlook settings, and to do this, follow the procedure
- Open outlook website from the web
- Log in to your outlook account
- Click on the setting cog icon that is on the top-right of the page.
- Scroll down and look for “View all Outlook settings” and then click on it
- This will open the main setting menu for outlook
- Select “Mail” from the left bar and then select “ Compose and reply”
- After selecting Compose and reply, the third column will appear
- Scroll down the panel until you see the option “Undo send”
- Drag the slider to select the time you will be allowed to unsend an email
- After selecting the required time, click Save and this is how your new settings will be saved.
After changing the settings, you can check the feature by composing a new email and sending it. Once you finish sending an email, a notification of Sending will appear on the bottom of your screen with the option Undo. At this time, you have to click on Undo to unsend an email within the time frame.
Outlook for Desktop:
How to unsend an email in outlook for Desktop is completely different. Although its benefit is that you can recall the email, once it has already reached someone’s inbox.
This is interesting but there are some prerequisites that are mentioned below;
- The sender and the recipient both must use Outlook.
- The email sent must be unread in the recipient’s inbox
Now here is the complete procedure to unsend an email in outlook for desktop
- First of all, Launch outlook on your PC if you already don’t have it
- Go to the “Sent Mail” portion after clicking on the left
- Reach to the email you want to unsend by double-clicking on it
- Now click on the “Move” section on the screen
- After clicking on “Move”, click “More Move Actions” and then click on “Recall This Message”
- Tick on “Delete unread copies of this message”
- In order to know the result, also tick on “Tell me if recall succeeds or fails for each recipient”
- In the end, click “OK”
- If you meet all the requirements and everything went well then your email will be recalled from the recipient’s inbox.
Outlook too offers Gmail-like unsending email feature for its users. To avail this feature all you have to do is to create an outlook rule to delay the delivery of your emails by a specified time. This will allow recalling your messages after sending them.