Entrepreneurs around the world continue competing in the race of riches. With the cryptocurrencies gaining hype, many new people have been added to the billionaire’s list – World’s richest people. Among the top five richest people 4 are American and 1 is French. Not to forget that two of them are Harvard dropouts.
Read more: 7 Best Apps to Watch Movies and TV Shows
1. Jeff BezosJeff Bezos is the founder of Amazon and his net worth is $112 billion. He secured the first number on the world’s richest people’s list, getting ahead of Bill gates. Bezos is the first person to have a 12 figure fortune (the 100 billion mark). He also created the biggest gap between number 1 and 2 since 2001. Another record that he broke was of increasing $39 billion to his net worth in a year which is the biggest one-year gain. Amazon.com was founded in 1994 to sell books but now it has become the one stop location for buying each and everything, satisfying the needs of every type of customer. The diversity of amazon.com is unmatched which makes it stand out among all its competitors. It has kept up with this pattern by launching its acquisition of Whole Foods in 2017 and own-branded over-the-counter drugs in 2018. Apart from Amazon, Bezos has several projects which include the aerospace company, Blue Origin, the Washington Post (bought in 2013) and the Long Now.
2. Bill GatesAfter staying on top of the list for a long while, one of the Harvard dropouts on the list, Bill Gates finally drops to the number 2 of the richest people. He still has a whooping net worth of more than $100 billion. Although he is the Co-founder of Microsoft Corporation and made his net-worth through it, he has now sold most of his shares and owns only 1%. He has invested in different stocks and assets. His focus is upon the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation which he runs with his wife. It is the largest private charitable organization. He has spent $30 billion in 14 years to fight polio and malaria, and $50 million in 2017 to fight Ebola. Gates also announced a $1 billion breakthrough energy investment fund in 2016. Currently a board member of Microsoft and Berkshire Hathaway Inc.
Read more: Apple now becomes the most valuable company in the world
3. Warren BuffetWarren Buffet is the best investor of the 20th century with a net worth of $84 billion. He bought the textile company Berkshire Hathaway in 1962 and expanded the company to insurance and other investments. The company is now worth one and a half trillion dollars. Warren Buffet is widely known to invest in undervalued companies and then make them successful. Buffet has avoided the urge to invest in social media companies and has instead gone for companies that would pay off after some time. Buffet does not intend to leave any of his wealth to his children and has already given away a lot of his wealth to charity. Till now, he has given away $20 billion in charitable contributions.
4. Bernard Arnault & FamilyBernard Arnault Family is the only French national in the top five World’s richest people. He is the CEO and chairman of the biggest luxury goods company, LVMH. The brands like Louis Vuitton, Hennessey, Bulgari, Marc Jacobs, Dior, and Sephora fall under LVMH. An engineer by profession, Arnault worked for his father’s engineering company and soon converted it to a real estate company in 1976. After acquiring luxury goods maker, Financière Agache he sold off all of its holdings except Christian Dior and Le Born Marche. He then became the chairman of LVMH in 1989. Europe’s richest man, Arnault also invests widely in technology and yacht companies.
5. Mark ZuckerbergThe co-founder of Facebook has a net worth of $71 billion. The Harvard dropout, Mark Zuckerberg invented Facebook in his dorm room. He started off with a site to match faces with names of his university fellows. Two of his fellow Harvard classmates claimed that they came to Zuckerberg with this idea first, leading to a lawsuit that finally settled in 2008. The Winklevoss twins were given $20 million of the company which was at the time worth $45 million. Mark Zuckerberg is not only known in the list of the World’s richest people but also counts as the world’s youngest billionaire.
Read more: Mark Zuckerberg- the true story of the world’s youngest billionaireZuckerberg made Facebook public in May 2012 and now owns 17% of the shares. Zuckerberg and his wife have decided to give 99% of their Facebook shares during their lifetime.